- Class Blogs
- How To
[pl_video type="youtube" id="wQKKj_qeOBQ"]
It seems like only yesterday that we were saying goodbye, cleaning out lockers and offices and trying to fit as much into the summer as possible. I spent most of the summer away from the school (for those of you who know me this is as much of a surprise to me as it is to you) at our family cabin at Gull Lake and playing in many slo-pitch tournaments. If I’m still walking like an eighty year-old man it’s because I feel like one. My body just can’t handle the late nights like when I was twenty. It sucks getting old.
Well, the dog days are behind us and it’s time to get back to learning and having fun.
Throughout this first post of the year I am going to introduce you to CDZA. They create music experiments and I highly recommend you subscribe to their YouTube channel. Here’s a couple of their videos to get you started and give you an idea of their brilliance.
[pl_video type="youtube" id="Pbdewwtm70w"]
[pl_video type="youtube" id="qOZb7KeJUQ8"]
Getting Ahold of Me
Regardless of whether you’ve had me as a teacher before or not, here’s how you can best get ahold of me outside of class.
My office is located to the right of this lab. This is my classroom and 90% of the time I’ll be in either my classroom or office. If you ever need to find me, check here first.
My phone number at the school is (403) 342-6655 ex. 1357. You’ll be getting my e-mail address in class. I also give you all my cellphone number (putting it on this public website wouldn’t be the smartest thing – I don’t feel like getting waves of telemarketers) so you’ll be able to get ahold of me 24/7. E-mail and texting are your best two options.
Classroom Guidelines & Policies
We’ll go over these on the first day of classes but I’m going to ask you to re-read them to ensure that my expectations are as transparent as possible.
- Get to know OWED TIME. If you have any questions, ask. Bottom line is I expect you to be punctual, on-task while in my classroom, and attending 99% of classes.
- You are required to make up any missed classes/assignments. This means, if you miss class, regardless of whether it’s excused or not, you are responsible for completing the work.
- You are expected to be on time. Any non-excused lates are 30min of owed time.
- No food or drink is allowed in the computer lab. I’m pretty sure it’s fairly obvious why. Same thing – 30min.
- No facebook, youtube, etc during class (unless I give you free time). Be on task. Use the time we have together. Being off-task is 30min of owed time.
- There are no bathroom breaks. If you need to go, you owe me. Go before you come to class. It’s really not that difficult.
[pl_video type="youtube" id="lVd9ZLp0ckU"]
Getting Caught Up or Finding Out What You Missed
If you ever miss a class and need to find out what you’ve missed, head over to the Pottage blog which is essentially a recap of every class. You can get there by clicking on the dropdown blog menu and clicking on the Pottage link.
[pl_video type="youtube" id="-TeIm9CeCE0"]
Things to Do
It’s essential that we get the following things done ASAP and in the following order. We need to have these things done by the end of the long weekend.
- Head to Google and sign up for GMAIL, Google+ and Google Drive accounts. Here’s a step-by-step video showing you how to do it all.
- Send me an e-mail. Much of our communication will be done in the Google environment and having your GMAIL account is paramount.
- Search for me on Google+ or simply click on the link. Once you’ve found me, add me to one of your circles.
- Head over to Gravatar and create an account. Once there, associate your GMAIL account with your Gravatar account.
- Create a class folder in your drive. Please name it, “lastname_firstinital_classname”. E.g., pottage_s_photography20.
Songs of the Week – Songs About School
Every week I present you with a few songs of a particular theme. Mostly it’s just for fun but also to expose you to music that isn’t Top 40. I hope you enjoy it.
Young MC – Principal’s Office. This is the rap I grew up on.
[pl_video type="youtube" id="zE7fs2979Y4"]
Vampire Weekend – Campus. One of the very best Indie bands you’ll ever hear.
[pl_video type="youtube" id="H47KFAaw1dU"]
The Kinks – Education
[pl_video type="youtube" id="ghpoCOcPEZI"]
Pearl Jam – Jeremy. One of the most influential and essential songs from the 90s.
[pl_video type="youtube" id="MS91knuzoOA"]
Tagsadvice Bangles bob marley BOD changes chase jarvis favorite goodbye grad inspiration iPad kung fu last day MM Motion Media nirvana out-of-bounds PD photo Photo20 Photo30 photography portfolios Pottage Puff Daddy Regina Specktor riding giants Royksopp sample seamless security semester break sick summer superfad surf surfing tim mcgraw tonsilitis Tupac tutorial vid video weezer Zack Arias